Posted on April 28, 2009, a guest post by Tommy Mikalson
Officially or unofficially, May is Bike Month! So what better way to kick off the month by participating in Calgary's Bike to Work Day on Friday May 1st. (And hopefully it stops snowing by then!)
There are so many good reasons to grab your bike and ride to work!
- It's Healthy
- It's Environmentally Friendly
- It's Less Frustrating Than A Traffic Jam
- It Can Be Quicker Than A Car Or Transit
- It's Down Right Fun! (And You Can Look Sexy Doing It)
And that's not all...
Stop by one of the five Pedal Energy Support Stations during Bike to Work Day for refreshments and freebees. Get your bike checked free of charge by "Doctor Bike" - a professional mechanic maniac - to make sure that it is lubed and ready to go. Doctor Bike is available between 6 - 8:30 am. The five Pedal Energy Support Stations can be found enroute at:
- Bow River LRT Bridge - bike path on south side of Bow River near 10th St. SW
- Prince's Island Pedestrian Bridge
- Fort Calgary on 9th Ave. SE - at Elbow River Bridge
- 8th Ave. & 8th St. SW - north of railway underpass
- 10th Ave. & 4th St. SW - across from Tantra Nightclub and Lounge
Also! All Bike to Work cyclists can join a FREE Pancake Breakfast at Eau Claire Market from 6 - 8:30 am. For more information, visit the Bike to Work Day Bike Guide.
Maps and Bicycle Routes within the City of Calgary can be found by visiting their website.
Help Calgary become a better place to ride. It is also a unique way to create an awareness of the benefits of cycling as a healthy, efficient, convenient, low-cost means of transport which contributes to a reduction in the major problems of inner city traffic congestion and pollution.
If you cannot participate in the Bike to Work festivities but are interested in furthering a bike culture in Calgary, I encourage you to check out the various organizations and support their endeavours:
Hope to see you pedalling around. Happy cycling!